Atlanta Therapy Groups for Partners of Chronic Sexual Deception
People who discover that their partners have sexually deceived them face a very difficult situation. This is especially true when the deception has happened repeatedly or over a long period of time.
Shame, shock and confusion can be intense in such situations. This can contribute to a sense of isolation that slows or even completely stalls the process of healing from the trauma of repeated betrayal. Well-meaning friends and family may give advice that doesn't fully account for the complex feelings, factors and choices a person faces when this situation is really happening. So often it can seem like there is no place to turn for true understanding, support and guidance
This is why I offer two therapy groups that bring together people dealing with this issue in a safe, confidential environment for group discussion and mutual support. I help provide topics of conversation if needed, offering my perspectives, suggestions and guidance. But the main benefit come from the other members helping each other with support, strength and insight.
Group therapy is one of the most powerful and meaningful ways to support growth and health in situations like this. The collective spirit of strength and resilience is a healing balm to a person who is feeling fragile, shattered or numb.
Although these groups are ongoing (which means they don't have an end date), the initial membership commitment is 12 weeks. After that time you can either leave or continue for as long as you like. Most folks choose to stay because of the benefit they receive.
The group sessions last 90 minutes. One group meets Thursday evenings from 7:30 to 9 PM and the daytime group is on Thursdays from 11:30 AM to 1 PM.
Most therapy groups with a similar goal are focused on "partners of sex addicts". This group does not require sex addiction to be the reason for the chronic deception. Please read my page Chronic Sexual Deception: Many Causes and Solutions for more insight into the many reasons that drive people to deceive their partners about their sexual behavior. This group format will address this issue from a variety of perspectives designed to increase empowerment, insight, safety and sense of possibility.
That being said, I am a very experienced certified sex addiction therapist (CSAT). I am also in the process of becoming credentialed as a Certified Clinical Partner Specialist by the Association of Partners of Sex Addicts Trauma Specialists (APSATS), which focuses on helping people who have been traumatized by chronic sexual betrayal. I have also previously conducted similar support groups for partners of chronic deception. For all these reasons I am confident of providing a valuable resource for support, insight, healing and growth during such a difficult time.
Other important information and guidelines:
- Group therapy abides by rules of confidentiality. This means that I will not share any identifying information about any group participants with anyone else. I will also not disclose or discuss any identifying information about anyone else who may be a client of mine, including spouses or partners of group members.
- There will be no workbooks, assignments or mandatory reading material However, members will be encouraged to share resources with each other that they have found valuable.
- I encourage members to develop supportive relationships with each other outside of the group. One benefit of this type of forum is that it is a way to form safe and meaningful connections with others in similar situations.
- The cost of the group is $50 for each 90 minute meeting. Members are not excused from paying if they miss a session.
- If you are not an established client I require at least one individual session to get to know some about you and determine together if this kind of group is the best resource for you at this time.
If you are interested in participating, please contact me to find out if I have any available openings.