Free Online and Telephone Support Forums For Sex Addicts and Their Partners
Since it can be so hard to discuss issues related to sex with friends or family, and since support groups are sometimes not available or convenient, I've compiled a list of online and telephone-based support forums can bring support and assistance to anyone, at any time, anywhere in the world.
People whose lives have suffered because of poorly managed sexual behavior often don't know where to turn. They can find themselves emotionally isolated from others due to shame and the fear that others won't fully understand or know what kind of support is truly helpful. This is just as true (and sometimes even more so) for the partner of a person who has repeatedly engaged in deceptive sexual behavior.
The opportunity to benefit from the shared experience of others in a similar situation is sxtremely helpful. Nobody understands a problem better than somebody who has walked a similar path. Family, friends, therapists and others may all have something to offer, but each have their own limitations.
This is why support groups can be so very helpful. For sexual issues, 12-step groups can be very valuable. (I often encourage people hesitant to attend a 12-step group to read my article titled "12 Step Groups: Twelve Objections and Twelve Responses." )
However, there are lots of reasons why a person may not be willing or able to attend a support group in person. The good news is that there are many online and telephone versions of support groups. I encourage anyone suffering from the pain, isolation and confusion that surrounds sex addiction to give any of these a try.
- Sex Addicts Anonymous (SAA) electronic meetings - this 12-step fellowship offers text chat, telephone and webchat meetings at various times throughout the week.
- Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous (SLAA) telephone and online meetings are offered by this 12-step group.
- Sexual Compulsives Anonymous phone and online meetings are offered by this 12-step group.
- Sexaholics Anonymous (SA) phone meetings are offered by this 12-step group.
- Sex/Pornography Addiction Support Forum - This forum is operated by DailyStrength.org, "the largest, most comprehensive network of people sharing their knowledge experiences and support."
- Sex Addiction Support Forum. This forum is operated by MD Junction as "a community of patients, family members and friends dedicated to dealing with sex addiction, together."
- Sex Addiction Support Group - This forum is located at SupportGroups.com, whose mission is "providing concise, up-to-date information and a meeting place for individuals, their friends and families, and professionals who offer pathways to help."
- Sex Addiction Support Forum - a PsychForums.com support forum, which is "devoted to providing you with support and information for mental health and self-improvement."
- Reddit NoFap - this is a forum specifically to help people break the cycle of compulsive masturbation to porn. Unlike any other venue, this community has a unique, often earthy and frequenty funny language and attitude, but it is very serious in its mission. "Whether your goal is to casually participate in a NoFap week or monthly challenge as a test of self control, or if fapping has become an addictive problem in your life and you want to quit for a longer period of time, you will find a home and friends here."
- Women Who Struggle With Sex Addiction - from Blazing Grace, "a Christ-centered ministry to those who want freedom from sexual addiction—and their spouses."
- Blazing Grace -- a Christian forum (see description above), populated by both addicts and partners.
- POSARC - The Partners of Sex Addicts Resource Center has an email list to subscribe to.
Note: there are also many excellent for-pay support and therapy groups online that are not listed here. All forums on this page are free.
It is worth emphasizing that support forums are only as helpful as the people who are on them. This means that the quality and extent of support and guidance can vary from group to group and time to time. Most forums have far more readers than contributors. Even without joining into any discussions, the wide variety of topics covered by these sites can be very useful to anyone desiring more information and understanding.
I encourage anyone who has information about additional online and telephone support forums to contact me so that I can include them here.
Remember, addiction and despair breed in isolation, while recovery and hope thrive in connection.
Note: I've recently gathered together a list of resources for sex addiction information, containing articles, blogs and videos about this topic which may be of interest to people dealing with these kinds of issues in their personal life.
As always, I welcome you to contact me directly if I can be of assistance to you.